About our Internship Programme
Everyone has a different background, a different experience in life and a different perspective. At Edinburgh Airport we value diversity and people’s own individual experience. We are an inclusive environment in which you can flourish, so perhaps your experience of some of the following circumstances could give us both the opportunity to develop together.
- You have broken down barriers with hard work to be the first in your family to study in further or higher education.
- You balance caring responsibilities at home with other commitments, such as work.
- You have experience of being brought up in care which has helped to shape who you are today.
- You have refugee or asylum seeker status and are making a new life here in Scotland and want to contribute your skills to Scottish society
- You have embraced the challenges that having a physical, mental or learning disability can bring in life and want to shape our inclusive workplace.
- You identify with an under-represented ethnic background and are eager to show that no matter your ethnicity you can flourish as part of a team.
We know there are many factors which can impact a young person’s access to opportunities they want to experience, so this list just gives an example of some which we have heard about first-hand from our colleagues at Edinburgh Airport. We welcome applications from everyone for our internships but will prioritise applicants from colleges and non-Russell Group universities.
About the Team
The Engineering team look after all assets from simple machinery to our 2560m runway and all infrastructure on and off Edinburgh Airports extensive campus. Our policy is to provide our passengers and stakeholders with an efficient, safe, and compliant service which ensures they receive the best airport experience. We are committed to continual improvement and by carrying out internal audits and management reviews we monitor, measure and establish new processes appropriate to improving our service to passengers and stakeholders.
What you’ll be doing
- Learn about the airport, its operations, and the vital role Engineering plays in sustaining smooth and safe operations across the campus
- Conducting and presenting continuous improvement projects to propose solutions to data availability, collection, collation, and processes specifically around lifesaving and statutory assets e.g. plumbing and legionella
- Analysis of internal communications methods for the department including content and rollout of improvements
- Exposure to projects across all Engineering functions as required which may include assets, maintenance and baggage
What we’re looking for
- Good working knowledge of IT systems i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and prioritise workload
- Customer focused and well organised
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Team player: you will work well with others and demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Problem solver: you will enjoy finding solutions and presenting them in clear and effective manner.
What we’ll offer you
- Full training will be provided
- Exposure to behind-the-scenes airport operations and insight into how it runs day-to-day
- Networking opportunities with other interns on campus, Leadership and Executive teams
- Free on-site car parking (for both when you are working and when you go on holiday)
- Discounted shopping in the various retail and catering outlets within the Terminal
- Access to EAL Rewards, our benefits platform for discounts with high street names, gyms, cinemas, fuel and supermarkets